CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Winter Carnival <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Winter Carnival <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2024 16:39:37 +0000
🧑‍🚀Howdy space travelers! 🧑‍🚀

🚀Here’s what’s happening TODAY! 🚀

11:00am-2:00pm

Winter Carnival Poster Printing with Book Arts

You've got the official Winter Carnival Poster - but did you know you can print a SPECIAL edition poster of your own right here on campus? Stop by the Book Arts Workshop in the basement of Baker to try out the letterpress machines!

Location: Book Arts Workshop (Baker lower level outside Orozco Room)

1:00-11:00pm

Winter Carnival Design Gallery

We had so many great poster and t-shirt submissions this year we couldn't keep them to ourselves! Stop by Collis 101 to check them out Friday through Sunday

Location: Collis 101

1:00-4:00pm

"To the Astronomy Tower!" (aka Baker Tower Tours)

Climb a little closer to the cosmos with a trip up Baker Tower. Tours fill up within the first 15 minutes and people wishing to go up to the tower are encouraged to come at the beginning of the scheduled time.

Location: Baker-Berry Library

2:00-4:30pm

Cookies & Cocoa

Come in and warm up from the cold!

Location: The Roth Center for Jewish Life - 5 Occom Ridge (white building behind the Choates)

3:00-5:00pm

Broomball Tourney @ Ice Rink on the Green

If you aren’t familiar with Broomball, watch this video<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEYPxOO0FY>. It’s basically shenanigans on ice. Grab some friends. Come to the Green. You don’t need anything but the willingness to probably fall and make a fool of yourself (and also sign a waiver). Max team size of 10.

Location: Ice rink on the Green

4:00pm-5:00pm

SPACE RACES

Looks like we’ve got JUST enough snow to make it happen!! Come compete with friends in the Human Dogsled Races or take a solo moonwalk in the snowshoe races!

  *   4:00pm  ROVER RELAY (aka Human Dogsled Races)

  *   4:30pm  MOONBOOT MATCHES (aka Snowshoe Races)

Location: The Green

3:30–5:00pm

Instant Ice Cream with the Chemistry Department

Join the Chemistry Department in liquid nitrogen ice cream making and enjoy this scientific dessert with ice cream toppings. All while supplies last!

Location: Collis Common Ground

3:00-10:00pm

Ice Sculpture Carving

Check out the works in progress by our student artisans as they chip away at their designs.

Location: Collis/Robo/McNutt Lawns

4:30-8:30pm

Supernova Supper @ '53

Set your heading to ‘53 Commons for a special meal with your Dartmouth crew.

Location: '53 Commons

8:00pm

Big Bang BINGO

From neon lights to Airpods or even your own telescope, you could win some BIG prizes...ASTRONOMICAL even.

Location: Collis Common Ground

8:00pm

Free Film & Fun: HIDDEN FIGURES

Join Winter Carnival Council and the sisters of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc as we celebrate Black Legacy Month with the hit film highlighting three brilliant African-American women at NASA -- Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson -- who serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the nation's confidence, turned around the Space Race and galvanized the world. Along with the screening we'll have snacks and some cosmic crafts you can take with you.

Location: One Wheelock

10:00pm-1:00am

Collis After Dark presents SPACE CAMP

Welcome to Collis Common Ground Control where your adventures as an Astronaut begins! Test out your skills with a rover race, a dexterity challenge, and creating a flag to plant on a future planet! Celebrate your astronaut skills with the ice cream of the future, dippin’ dots (while supplies last)!

Location: Collis Common Ground