CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Sophomore Trips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sophomore Trips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:10:31 +0000

Coming soon to a campus near you…

The Fifty!!!!!

This is it, the announcement you all have been waiting for. Now is your chance to hike the Fifty and reap that sweet, sweet social capital you’ve heard so much about from washed-up 17s and jaded 18s!

We will be having an information sessions in Dhall 105 today (June 27) at 7 pm. This meeting is mandatory for anyone that wants to hike or support the Fifty!

Come with your team organized, or be ready to make a team at/immediately after the meeting. You will be entering the lottery at the end of THIS MEETING!

Get Hyped!!

-Your Directors
Emma Miller, Eric Brunner ;) and Ivan Cornish

FAQ:

You: What the heck is the Fifty?
Us: The Fifty is a 53.6-mile hike on the Appalachian Trail that runs from Moosilauke Ravine Lodge all the way back here to campus.

You: Who gets to hike the fifty? How long does it take?
Us: It is hiked in teams of 4, and usually takes 24-30 hours.

You: Why is it called the fifty if it’s 53.6 miles?
Us: The bureaucracy, probably influenced by the patriarchy.

You: When is the Fifty going to happen?
Us: This summer, the Fifty will run from Friday, August 4 to Saturday, August 5.

You: Why exactly would I want to do this, again?
Us: Haven’t you ever wanted to hallucinate, but been too afraid to try hallucinogens?? No? Just me? Ah, ok then.
      The Fifty is a unique opportunity to hike beautiful sections of the AT in one go, with tons of support from your friends on campus. It’s something you’re NEVER going to forget. This is a unique Dartmouth tradition that has been going on for years, and it’s awesome to say you participated, in whatever way you want.

You: I don’t really want to hike this, walking isn’t my thing. I’m more of a hoverboard kind of person.
Us: Although that’s not a question, you can (and should!) support the Fifty!

You: Can I hike it with my fidget spinner?
Us: only if you share some of your $wag.

You: What does supporting the Fifty involve?
Us: Hanging out at different stations along the route, dressing in flair, dancing and caring for the stupid masochistic brave and wonderful souls walking something you could drive in infinitely less time.
     Come to the information meeting to find out more!!

You: Can I bring my friends to the info meeting? Can we support/hike together?
Us: Sick self call!
      But, yes, of course. Bring your friends, your family, the random townies you meet at Dirt Cowboy, that one person you flitzed freshman year and haven’t talked to since, your stuffed animals, your real animals, anyone with a pulse… (we’re not desperate, we swear).

You: Did you write parts of this email in Comic Sans? I’m not coming to that meeting if you did.
Us: We would never!