CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Alpha Theta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alpha Theta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 04:56:28 +0000
To the Dartmouth Community,

We stand in solidarity with the directorate of 2018 First-Year Trips in response to the recent op-ed featured in The Dartmouth. As a house, we publicly disavow the article’s arguments and condemn its direct attack of the First Year Trips director and assistant director.

But first, we would like to thank and congratulate the directorate. It is truly commendable to see an increase in inclusivity and diversity of qualified individuals leading First-Year Trips. The incoming class of ‘22s will benefit from your advocacy for diversity within such a significant program. Contrary to the author's opinion on sacrificing merit for diversity, we wholeheartedly believe that all Dartmouth students can exceed the qualifications of a white male student whether that’s in the classroom or out in the woods.

In response to the op-ed writer’s ignorance and privilege, we would like to call for a new dominant Dartmouth narrative. For many members of the community, the status quo perpetuates a bitter and entitled reality that we are forced to live with every day as POC, as members of the LGBTQIA+ community, as women, and as multiple other intersectional identities. Many of these narratives are left out of the traditional, mainstream ‘Dartmouth identity.’ While it may be uncomfortable for many in the community to acknowledge and reflect on their privilege, we believe it is time to recognize, acknowledge, and respect these narratives as part of a more inclusive Dartmouth image.

Furthermore, misrepresentation and misquotation is a serious issue in the media that disproportionately affects marginalized communities. The Dartmouth should take great care to correctly represent marginalized peoples’ views, opinions, and actions. However, we find it important to recognize that being a member of a marginalized community does not preclude one from making statements and holding beliefs that can be harmful to members of other marginalized communities.

We understand that the ignorant assertion that diversity can only exist without merit is insulting and incorrect, and we recognize that this is not only the opinion of the author but also a sentiment of other students on Dartmouth's campus. As part of a process of critical self-reflection, we want to address our own role in sustaining dominant perspectives and encourage other organizations to reach out to us in a mutual effort to create more welcoming spaces. We hope to work with the community in having a broader discussion on whiteness, patriarchy, class supremacy, ableism, and heteronormativity on campus.

In Solidarity,
The Siblings of Alpha Theta, Gender-Inclusive Greek House