CABIN-TRAIL Archives

April 2019, Week 5

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2019 18:55:00 +0000
Are you looking for a lovely parents weekend outing (with or without your parents)?

Look no further than Cabin and Trail, where we did all these beautiful wholesome things last weekend and will do even mooore this weekend:

[IMG_3095]

A Cardigan sunsike (level 2 out of 5) ft. Skylar and Sophie!

[DSC_6800]

A contradance in Norwich ft. Tahlia and Nitesh!

[Silly Group Photo Top of Lafayette- Franc Ridge Hike]

A Franconia Ridge hike (level 4 out of 5) ft. a whole lotta friends!

Cabin and Trail wants to have fun with YOU!

Cabin and Trail leads lots and lots of hikes, cabin overnights, and assorted shenanigans in all weather! And you can borrow any and all winter/rain/hiking gear that you might need - from warm layers to zero degree sleeping bags to rain pants - for FREE!!!! (Just ask!)

Your gear options include but are not limited to:

  *   hiking boots!

  *   puffy jackets!

  *   rain pants!

  *   rain jackets/windbreakers!

  *   balaclavas!

  *   sleeping bags!

  *   snowshoes!

  *   backpacks!

If you'd like to get outside this weekend, sign up for any of the trips below by blitzing the email or clicking the link provided with your dietary restrictions and shoe size!

 As always, blitz the leaders with any and all questions!

This week, extra beginner friendly trips (including trailwork!) are marked with PLEASANT PURPLE (plus you can always check the levels or ask a leader for advice) ((notes on the level system at the end of the email))!!

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

What: Fritzes (: & Flitzes (; CABIN OVERNIGHT!!!!

When: 8:15 pm Thursday night to 8:30am Friday Morning (both times flexible)

Why: Looking for an excuse to invite the cutie from the KAF line to something? Wanna get to know better the cool kid from your club/class? Flitz/fritz them to come on this cabin overnight!!! We will chill, have yummy snacks and become best friends!!!! A wonderful way to meet friends and deepen existing pal-ships!!! <3 (you don't have to have anyone in mind, bc consider this a fritz to YOU!!!)

Level: 0! we in a cabin (a tbd but close cabin!)

Leaders: Mary Joy '21 Mia Nelson '22

Cost: nothing has ever been free-er (except my spirit)

Gear: sleeping bag, warm clothes, anything to make you comfortable in a cabin overnight!!!!! (plus maybe even an instrument not required but I love acoustic music so maybe consider it???) YOU CAN BORROW ALL GEAR FREE (just ask)

Blitz/link: Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with your dietary restrictions, enthusiasms and your favorite friendship goals (mine is Shawn Spencer and Burton Guster from the hit tv show PSYCH.)

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Portland Triple Decker Contra Dance

When: 12:00 noon – very late

Why: We'll be going to a contra dance in Portland, ME from 2:30 – 11:00! You don't have to dance the whole time but I'm darn sure I will

Level: Contra dance level: 4/5 (Lodge Contra: 1/5; Norwich: 2/5; Montpelier: 3/5; Snow Ball 5/5)

Leaders: Kevin Donohue '21 and Sasha Kokoshinskiy '22

Cost: $25 at the door for the dance. Will see if the price can be reduced

Blitz/link: Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Rumney DMC crossover!

When: Saturday, May 5 8:30 AM-4:30 PM (times subject to a little fluctuation)

Why: Have you ever thought that normal hiking was too horizontal and didn't exercise your arms enough? Have you ever wondered what that Rumney place all the DMC people go to was? If so, come on this beginner rock climbing trip to Rumney. We'll do beginner-level climbing for part of the day, and hike Rattlesnake Mountain (the hill where all the cliffs are) during the other part. This trip is meant to be an introduction to rock climbing in a familiar environment with fellow chubbers.

Level: 2 We will be doing beginner rock climbing (no experience necessary) and a fairly short hike.

Leaders: Geordi Geier, Decker Wentz, Grant Larson

Gear: normal hiking stuff (day pack, layers, rain coat, water, hiking shoes, etc.) and climbing gear (helmet, harness, climbing shoes, belay device). The DMC and DOR have all of this gear available for you to borrow.

Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with your shoe size, dietary restrictions, and any questions.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: Madison Madison Madison

When: 8-6 on Saturday

Why: snax! fun people! (hopefully) views! Frank Sapienza is actually leading something woot woot

Level: 5, chill pace

Leaders: Mary Joy & Francis Sapienza

Cost: FREE FREE FREEEEEE

Gear: puffy, hiking boots/shoes, warm layers

Blitz: blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to sign up/for any extra gear you need!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: ~ g i l e ~

When: Sunday 3:00pm-5:00pm

Why: Take a study break this Sunday to hike gile - it's a super chill hike with a cool fire tower at the top!

Level: 1

Leaders: Libby Decker and Rine Uhm

Cost: frEEEEEeeEE

Gear: sneakers/boots, warm layers, and water bottle!!

Blitz/link: email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to sign up :)))

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: PRODUCTIVITY cabin overnight

When: 9 pm Sunday to 8 am Monday (flexible)

Why: Have you always wanted to ~disconnect~ while GRINDING? Do you crave that “crunchy but still gets stuff done” vibe. Do you want to read some Tolstoy or Faulkner by gas lamp with a monocle perched over your eye? Do you wish you could go on an overnight but you have to “get some work done?” Well then THIS CABIN OVERNIGHT IS FOR YOU!!!

Level: 1

Leaders: Alex Wells and Natalie Vaughan

Cost: FREE

Gear: You will need a sleeping bag (if you don’t plan on working all night) and your *non-electronic* homework! We will supply some classic texts in case you forget to bring some of your own.

Blitz: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with any dietary restrictions and any gear that you need to borrow!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: Moose Mtn. Trailwork

When: Sunday 9am - 4pm (at the latest)

Why: Help maintain one of the longest trails in the country! Axe trees, dig drainages, fix up a shelter, and more! Who knows... maybe we’ll even see a moose!

Level: 2

Leader: Jacob Chalif

Cost: FREE

Gear: Hiking boots or other sturdy closed toed sneakers

Blitz: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with any dietary restrictions (and snack preferences) to sign up

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: Moosilauke!

When: 7:30am - 3pm

Why: Get outside to combat the Sunday scaries AND be back in time to catch up on work! We'll hike Moosilauke via the Glencliff trail, which is a nice out and back hike, slightly under 8 miles. The trail has some steep sections, but it's relatively chill overall!

Level: 3.5

Leaders: Anna Ellis ’19 and Sophie Smith ’20

Cost: Freeeeeeeeee

Gear: Day pack, hiking boots, two liters of water, warm/non cotton layers, and a rain layer (just in case). Can borrow from DOR!

Blitz: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with dietary restrictions and snack requests to sign up

A note about levels....

Level 1: Short, easy, super-beginner friendly hikes at a leisurely pace with relatively little elevation gain. Think Gile sunsikes and trips to Mink Brook!

Level 2: Slightly longer but still beginner friendly hikes with slight elevation gain, typically half day trips! Think Holt's Ledge or Moose Mountain!

Level 3: Longer trips with moderate elevation gain and mileages! Think Smarts and Cube!

Level 4: Longer trips with more significant elevation gain and mileages! Think Franc Ridge or the Kinsmans!

Level 5: Trips with the most significant elevation gain and mileages! Think Madison, Adams, and Washington!

TOR

Kevin and Katie