BAHASA Archives

July 2013

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Saut Situmorang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 21:50:52 +0700
I never encounter the use of "Saya" in the context of Master-Slave
relationship. The word "Hamba" is usually used. When "Sahaya/Saya" used to
address a feudal master, it is the same as using it to address a Kepala
kampung or university rector in contemporary Indonesia: Formality's sake.

-Saut Situmorang