Hey Everyone,
     The local Nordic club (Ford Sayre) is looking for coaches for their
elementary and middle school program this winter. This is a paid position
and close to campus.

Here are the details:

Hello Skier Types!

Once again it’s time to start rounding up coaches for what will hopefully
be a snowy season with more classic practices than last year! We’re hoping
you’ll join us this season! We’ve packed a lot in to this email, so here’s
the summary up front. Read further for impt. Details and elaboration on
summary.

   1.

   Complete this Form
   <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdmr7NOZhy0yKzMpNS-TDAlgWXR8msth5nw5zdyKVc2D-6VBw/viewform?usp=sf_link>
   to let us know if you can / can’t coach. You’ll also need to do a
   registration on TeamSnap when that launches (sorry for the redundancy this
   year).
   2.

   If you’re coaching, please start your USSA Membership + SafeSport
   Requirements <https://my.usskiandsnowboard.org/> ASAP. Register as a
   “Volunteer” and submit receipts for reimbursement. SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS
   HERE.
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q6LsOKY0BlGWhX00LsBkKrJ8LRKcEZUVxT0iSrXCMMg/edit?usp=sharing>
   3.

   Registration for coaches’ kids will open a few days before Oct. 1. We
   have a new registration system that is app based. It’s not ready yet, but
   will be and we will email you directly once it is! You will only get
   this link if you fill out the above Form… if you don’t, you’ll have to
   rub elbows with the general public when registration opens on Oct. 1.
   4.

   NENSA Coaches Clinic on Sat Sept. 30
   <https://www.skireg.com/eastern-coaches-conference> at Dublin School.
   It’s an awesome clinic and we’ll cover your fee and help with transport if
   you want to attend. Shoot Hilary an email if interested in attending!

Ok- the extended version:

Sign-up to Coach (or get your name off the list)

Please take a moment to complete this Coach Recruiting Google Form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdmr7NOZhy0yKzMpNS-TDAlgWXR8msth5nw5zdyKVc2D-6VBw/viewform?usp=sf_link>
(even if you’re a “no” for the season) before TUESDAY SEPT. 26.

Important Things to Note:

   1.

   If you are not interested in coaching this year, please reply to this
   email and let me know so we can take you off our list. (We will miss you,
   and thank you for your prior efforts with the kids!)
   2.

   Ford Sayre is a volunteer-based organization, which helps us keep our
   costs down relative to peer sport programming. As such, our expectation is
   parent-coaches will be volunteers unless they are “Grade Level Leads”.
   3.

   Program fees did go up this year to account for increased insurance and
   admin fees, but we did the math and it boils down to $14/kid/practice.
   Which we feel is a very reasonable, if not low, and is break-even for our
   annual budget.
   4.

   Early registration of your child is a perk of committing to coaching;
   please (!) don’t share the registration link before Oct. 1.
   5.

   If you know of any community members who would make great coaches or
   off-skis volunteers and have the time to commit, please send them to

Updates!

Progress at Oak Hill is putting us on track for snowmaking this winter and
(knock on wood) more reliability in practice planning! We anticipate yet
another big year for interest in our programming with this new development!

Another big change this year is a new registration system. Our old system
no longer exists, so a few committed Ford Sayre Council members have
selected “TeamSnap” as our registration platform and are building it out as
we speak.

TeamSnap is an app-based system that *should* greatly simplify information
distribution and communication. You will be able to have all your skier’s
med + contact info in one place, track attendance and message from within
the app. All things BKL all in one place, not lost in your inbox. To that
end, we expect all lead coaches to have access to the app at practice and
in time we will be asking all coaches to register as coaches through this
app, much like we did with League Athletics last year. This makes Ana’s
life easier to have all the info she may need all in one place!

They are building out all the registrations from scratch, and it will
likely come down to the wire for launch, BUT we are still planning to allow
coaches to register their skiers a few days before we launch to the general
public. Currently, registration is set to open to the public on Oct. 1. We
don’t know exactly when we will launch for coaches, but you will receive a
personal invite from me and/or [log in to unmask]

We will give you that kid-registration link only if you have signed up to
coach on the GoogleForm. Otherwise, you’ll need to register when general
registration opens.

Equipment Landscape:

Sounds like the ski industry is “back to normal”, so equipment should be
easier to come by. But hand-me-down equipment is still in vogue! And good
for the planet.

Team Night at Omer and Bob’s is Oct. 10, 5:30 - 7:30p, this is for 3rd
grade and up. K-2 families looking for rental packages can come in or call
any time after Oct. 1.

BKL Leadership Changes/Returns -

   -

   Taissa Cox will remain K-2 Program head. Emmie Smith will fill Tricia
   Groff’s shoes for K-2 Head Coach.
   -

   Courtney Marchetti takes the reins from Amber Hanna for 3-8th Program
   Head.
   -

   Jay will wear his wild hats for another year as BKL Head Coach!

Grade Level Leads:

   -

   3rd-4th: Teresa Lust and Rebecca Hannissian forge on!
   -

   5th - 6th: Still looking for 1-2 ppl to fill this organizational role.
   -

   7-8th: Leif Johnson and Aricca Van Citters
   -

   Adventure: Susan Frankenstein and Jennie Chamberlain adventure on!
   -

   Friday Race Clinic: Dennis Page is looking forward to reliable SNOW!
   -

   U14/U16 Wknd Race Coach - Still looking for 1-2 ppl to fill this
   important role!

2023/24 Schedule

General Schedule:

Lead coaches should always arrive 15 minutes early for K-4th, 5-8th you
have a little more wiggle room, but please be early.

Mon 3:30-4:30p K-2nd

Tue 3:30-4:30p** 3rd - 8th, 5min stagger start/finish to allow multi-kid
drop off

Thu 3:30-4:30p** 3rd - 8th, 5min stagger start/finish to allow multi-kid
drop off.

Fri 3:30-4:30p**, 5th-8th Race Clinic

**All 3rd - 8th Practices extend to 5:00p end sometime after Feb 1. As
daylight allows. K-2 remains 4:30 for the entire season.

Sat or Sun - Generally mornings, 6th-8th Weekend Race Program

First / Last practices:

   1.

   First Regular 3rd/8th Practice: Tue Nov. 28
   2.

   First Friday Race Clinic Practice - Fri Dec. 1
   3.

   First K-2 Practice: Mon. Dec 4
   4.

   Feb 6 - Practice lengthen to 5p end for 3rd - 8th
   5.

   No practices Dec. 25-Jan 1 or Feb 19-23
   6.

   Last Practice: Tue. Mar. 5

More detailed schedule can be found on our website calendar.
<https://www.fordsayre.org/nordic/bkl/>

K-2 Monday’s w/ no school:

   -

   Mon Jan. 1 - No practice, but Tiki Ski, 5pm.
   -

   Mon Jan 15 - Yes practice
   -

   Dresden Snow days – No practice

Coaches Clinic Dates:

   -

   Sat. Sept. 30 - NENSA Coaches Clinic, Dublin, NH (Optional). Register
   here. <https://www.skireg.com/bkl-coach-ed-2022>Reimbursement upon
   completion, and transportation available.
   -

      We strongly recommend this great educational opportunity!
      -

   Thu Nov 16 - 3:30 - 5:00p Ford Sayre Coaches Clinic (Strongly
   Encouraged),
   -

      This year, there will be no technique component and we’ll focus on
      group/behavior management + games and activities
      -

      Oak Hill or Garipay depending on age group.
      -

      Kid chaperoning/entertaining available by JNT skiers
      -

   Sat. Dec. 9 & Sat Dec. 15 – Coaches on-snow technique clinic
   -

      one day classic, one day skate

What comes next:

Once we have most coaches registered, your Grade Level Leads will be in
touch with group assignments and to organize a get-together to meet and
discuss the season. This will likely happen in Late Oct. or Early Nov.

Get your USSA + SafeSport pieces completed ASAP!

--
Dirk Andrew (he/him/his)
Dartmouth College, Class of 2025