Apologies to those of you on the NH listserve, but Dylan Jackson saw an
adult male Least Bittern today in the wetland behind Price-chopper in West
Lebanon. He and I both felt we should get the word out on the UV birders
listserve as well. Many birders last summer saw at least a couple of
different Least Bitterns here and that at least one is back is certainly
good evidence for the species being breeders here. I was quite sure I heard
one calling on a couple of occasions in late spring. If you didn’t see one
last summer, the best way to check is to drive behind Price-chopper and
park in the single parking spot to the left of the propane(?) tanks. If you
are lucky, a Least Bittern may be found in the phragmites along the edge of
the water. When there was exposed mud here last year (there isn’t yet, but
may well be later this summer) The birds were pretty reliably seen foraging
on the mud flat. Good luck if you check!    Jeff

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]