(....perching on a hammock easier THAN a bittern, too) Night-herons roost
in trees and other elevated spots.

On Friday, July 13, 2018, Jeff MacQueen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It looks too small to me at the end of the brick path. I am sticking with
> immature Black-crowned Night Heron, look at the wing spots in the hammock
> picture and the short, stocky bill. A bittern’s bill is longer and more
> dagger-like. I can see a night heron perching on a hammock easier that a
> bittern, too.   Jeff
>
> On Friday, July 13, 2018, Blake Allison <000000085d6e0931-dmarc-
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I agree with George about the upright stance characteristic. Here's a
>> picture from a few years back of an American Bittern my wife and I
>> encountered on a lawn at  the corner of Pinnacle Road and NH Route 10 in
>> Lyme. In my experience, black-crowned and yellow-crowned herons "hunch."
>> Also note the similarity in the striping.
>>

>> [image: Inline image]
>>
>> Blake
>> Lyme, NH 03768-3400
>>

>> On Friday, July 13, 2018, 6:23:56 PM EDT, Ted Levin <
>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi George & Norma,
>>
>> That bill looks much too thick to be an American bittern, which tends to
>> have a long, thin yellowish bill, as well as a much smaller head than
>> either species of night heron.
>>
>> I'm guessing this is a juvenile night heron, likely black-crowned, on
>> post-nuptial migration.
>>
>> Ted
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:38 PM, George Clark <
>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> What a nice adventure with the American Bittern at Goose Pond! As pointed
>> out by David Sibley in a field guide book, this bittern resembles an
>> immature night-heron, but differs in stance, in having unspotted wing
>> coverts, and a boldly striped neck. Photographing a bittern on a hammock
>> seems very possibly a unique experience. It would not be expected that
>> anyone else has ever previously photographed this species on a hammock -- a
>> most unusual perch for a bittern!
>>
>> George Clark
>> Norwich, VT
>>

>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 15:43:09 -0400, kmilk  wrote:
>> Here is the eBird link to heron photos.  Hope someone can ID this bird
>> and thank you.
>> https://ebird.org/view/ checklist/S47172097
>> <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47172097>
>>

>> Norma
>>
>> Canaan, NH
>>

>> To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] edu
>>  Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To
>> contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] dartmouth.edu
>>  To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask] edu
>>  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this
>> command from your old address to: [log in to unmask] edu
>> <[log in to unmask]> CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]
>> Web based archives and subscription management are available at: http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/
>> Archives/uv-birders.html
>> <http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/Archives/uv-birders.html>

> [...]

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]