Today brought a long-awaited pulse of migrant waterfowl, following our first southerly air flow in some time. I birded from Kilowatt South up to Pompy Flats this morning, and both numbers and diversity of ducks were solid. Highlights included:

Wood Duck - 4 at Kilowatt S
Gadwall - pair at Pompy Flats
Green-winged Teal - 10 total
Ring-necked Duck - at nearly every stop, close to 100 total
Lesser Scaup - 7 at Kilowatt S
Common Goldeneye - 11 total
Common Merganser - 32 total
Ring-billed Gull - 5 at Kilowatt S

I capped the day with a dusk stop at the Norwich Coop gardens for my annual American Woodcock "fix". The small meadow and adjacent wet alder thickets just north of the gardens have been a reliable spot in recent years (probably longer) to witness the early spring courtship display. I heard the first 'peeent' at 7:26 pm and the first display flight commenced at 7:31, continuing every three minutes thereafter. I had the bird land within 15 feet of me 2 or 3 times.

Spring has definitely arrived.

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x202
http://vtecostudies.org/

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask] UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask] CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]