We are seeing the same thing, i.e.,-- low use of the feeders for several weeks and now return of our winter friends.  With the snow flurries this am, a small flock of juncos, pair of cardinals, pair of downys, pair of Hairys, pair of red  bellieds, pair of nuthatches, small flocks of tufted titmice, chickadees and jays.

We refreshed our feeders yesterday and discovered some had seeds that had started to 'grow' in the wet and warm conditions we had, and so emptied them and started over.  Might be worth checking if your feeders have compromised seeds too. That may be contributing to the lack of activity of your feeders.

While the dearth of birds at the feeders in fall is sort of 'usual' (but a little longer), our garden has had lettuce, peas, peppers etc. much longer than usual too and our pine cone and nut and apple crops have been high.  We have observed flocks of goldfinches in the margins of woods as we walk, although few at our feeders--so it may be related to food being available without human intervention- imagine! If we were not assured by our leader that it is not occurring, we would have thought that maybe it had something to do with global warming.

Ann and Hal

Harold Swartz, M.D., Ph. D., M.S.P.H.

The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth

Professor of Radiology, Medicine (Radiation Oncology) and The Dartmouth Institute

Alma Hass Milham Distinguished Chair in Clinical Medicine

Director EPR Center for the Study of Viable Systems

HB7785

   EPR Center

   Williamson Bldg., Level 7

   DHMC

   One Medical Center Drive

   Lebanon, NH  03756

   Phone: 603-650-1955

Cell Phone: 603-359-8538

Office Fax: 603-650-1940

Home phone: 603-795-4919

URL (EPR Center): http://www.dartmouth.edu/~eprctr/

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:
This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and any attachments and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask] UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask] CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]