What Graduate Students & Postdocs Writing NIH Grants Need to Know
Date:
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
Time:
2:00pm - 3:00pm
Location:
Campus:
Graduate Studies

What Graduate Students & Postdocs Writing NIH Grants Need to Know
Presenters: Jamie S. Rubin, PhD

When: 11/29/17, 1-2pm(CT)/2-3pm(ET)

Where: Virtual/ Meeting in DCAL 102 Baker for group viewing, hosted by librarian Heather Johnson

please sign-up to attend in person to DCAL at

https://libcal.dartmouth.edu/aevent.php?c=221&d=2017-11-29

light snacks included

NRMN Family,

Please join us for the next NRMN Career Development Webinar on Wednesday, November 29th from 1-2pm(CT)/2-3pm(ET).

The ability to write successful grant applications for extramural support is now more important than ever, especially with regard to funding the research training and career development of graduate students and post-doctoral fellows. This webinar will address best practices for effective grantsmanship, approaches for competitive applications, common mistakes made by junior investigators, and tips to increase chances for success. The focus will be on NIH’s individual fellowships for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows. Topics that will be discussed include key required application components, specific content that should be included when completing these sections, and NIH’s fellowship grant review process, scoring system, and review criteria.

DCAL TA Orientation

TA Orientation Dec 4&5
Whether you're about to TA for the first time or will be TAing again, this is an opportunity to learn from experienced TAs about a variety of topics, such as the first day of class, connecting with students, time management, resources at Dartmouth, inclusive classrooms, lesson design, grading, and tricky situations. You will also have the opportunity to do some practice teaching.
The Orientation will be on two days:
Monday Dec. 4 (9am-4pm, including lunch) and Tuesday Dec 5 (10am-1pm, including lunch).
An additional session for international TAs will be on
Tuesday Dec 5, 1:30-3pm.

While registration will be open until orientation, please register early so we can recruit experienced TAs best suited to work with those who plan to attend and finalize the program based on your needs.
Register here for TA Orientation: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/3682587
And here for the session for international students: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/3682590

If you have questions, please contact Cindy Tobery in DCAL.
We look forward to seeing you in December!

West Coast Jobs for you!

Hi Kerry - I wanted to share this exciting West Coast resume drop initiative we’re doing. While there’s no guarantee that students will be offered a position and we can’t say what levels they are hiring for, we still think it’s worth sharing with Grad students!

Fiona

***

Several West Coast employers plan to interview Dartmouth students for exciting, full-time roles in cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, & Denver.

Follow instructions below and join our resume book to be considered for one of these roles!

A sampling of participating employers:

Allbirds- San Francisco
www.allbirds.com
San Francisco-based startup designing environmentally friendly and comfortable footwear. This is the wool shoe that techies love to wear.

Brownson, Rehmus & Foxworth - San Francisco
http://brfadvisors.com/
One of the largest independent wealth-management organizations in the US, providing sophisticated investment advice and integrated, comprehensive planning to high net worth families and related foundations.

GI Partners - San Francisco
www.gipartners.com
This alternative investment management firm caters to the middle-market companies with private equity investments.

Hillstone Restaurant Group – Los Angeles
www.hillstone.com
Privately-held collection of upscale restaurants with 45+ locations in major cities. In 12-wk rotational program, develop culinary and management skills. Get involved in hiring, staff supervision, vendor relations, financial analysis, and more.

Open Door - San Francisco
www.opendoor.com
At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We make buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. We’ve built an exceptional team, have raised over $300 million from top-notch investors and are growing fast, buying and selling more than $100 million of homes per month.

Orbital Insight - Mountain View
https://orbitalinsight.com
Change how the world makes decisions through advanced satellite image processing and data science at petabyte scale. Clients are in finance, government, insurance, and farming to name a few.

REX Real Estate - Los Angeles
www.rexchange.com
A platform and in-person service where homeowners list, discover and purchase homes from any device, anytime, anywhere. Create faster, better experiences, and yield huge savings for buyers and sellers.

Rinse.com - San Francisco, Los Angeles
www.rinse.com
Rapidly expanding Dartmouth-founded pickup and delivery service for dry cleaning and laundry.

Square – San Francisco
www.square.com
Square helps millions of sellers run their business- from secure credit card processing to point of sale solutions.

Tang Capital – San Diego
www.odonate.com
A life sciences-focused investment firm with a strong track record of creating and building successful biopharmaceutical companies. Gain experience in investment research and analysis as well as operational exposure to advancing drug development programs within Tang Capital’s portfolio companies.

Thanx – San Francisco, Denver
www.thanx.com
Thanx helps offline retailers build deeper, data-driven relationships with their best customers by integrating loyalty, feedback, referrals, and personalized marketing tools.

Important Details
By applying, you are including your resume in a book of Dartmouth candidates that will be sent to all participating employers for review.
At the TOP of your Resume, after your phone number, indicate your U.S. Work Authorization: Perm. US Work Auth. OR No Perm .Work Auth.
Deadline to apply via DartBoard is December 3, 11:59pm.
Log into DartBoard and upload resume under My Profile tab. Then click Job/Internship Search tab. Use the red right-hand arrow and search on Keyword “West Coast Jobs”. Click on opportunity and then hit Apply.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly by the company on or before Dec. 22.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Decisions will NOT be recorded in DartBoard. Please do NOT contact the CPD regarding your application status.
Questions? Email [log in to unmask]

Software Carpentry

Software Carpentry 2-day workshop: Building programs with Pythonhttp://lcimages.s3.amazonaws.com/data/feat_img/643/220/1510091431.jpg