VCE wrapped up our 2017 field season on Mansfield yesterday, with weather that couldn't have been more benign -- clear skies, calm winds, relatively warm temperatures. We'd have given our eye teeth for those conditions in June!

Although our main field season ends on ~August 1 each year, we always return to the ridgeline in mid-September for a final session, in part to witness the unexplained resurgence of Bicknell's Thrush (BITH) activity, in part to intercept fall migrants, in part because it's just plain fun. We set 23 nets on Tuesday evening, catching 8 birds by nightfall. Brisk west winds kept the dusk BITH "chorus" to a minimum, but a few birds teed off briefly, mostly calling, with a few songs thrown in. Winds dropped overnight, and nets were open by 6 am (as opposed to 0415 two months ago -- love the shorter days...). The dawn chorus was robust, with 10-12 BITH calling vigorously at times, even sporadically into mid-morning, and a few singing. Virtually everyone else was silent, though we heard a few Swainson's Thrushes overhead at first light, apparently still migrating or coming down from their night's flight.

Although we were never inundated with birds, suggesting that no big fall out occurred, action was steady through the morning. No real surprises, except for the fact that we captured only a single Blackpoll Warbler (we mist netted 46 last year on 9/14) . A few non-local species like Wood Thrush and American Redstart were crowd pleasers. A flock of 6 American Pipits seen and photographed by Chuck Gangas on open areas of the ridgeline was a premonition of things to come.

Our grand tally of 67 birds included the following:

Red-eyed Vireo  4
Brown Creeper  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
Bicknell's Thrush  11     8 new birds (2 adults, 6 hatch-years); 3 recaptures of previously banded males
Swainson's Thrush  5 new (1 adult, 4 hatching-year birds)
Wood Thrush  1
Ovenbird  3
American Redstart  1 adult male
Magnolia Warbler  1
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  8
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  11
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  7
White-throated Sparrow  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39172511
We'll be back at it next spring for year #27, already looking forward to it!

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x202
http://vtecostudies.org/

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask] UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask] CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]