Campbell Flats was hopping this morning, with the most pronounced "fall out" of warblers and other songbirds that I've witnessed yet this season. The treetops -- especially white birches -- were full of foraging warblers, many of which were challenging to identify in the flat light. Various people were there, and no doubt we all ended up with different lists. Activity was fast and furious from ~7:45-8:30 am, and I'd guess I successfully identified fewer than 50% of the birds I saw.

Highlights:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1     singing
Eastern Phoebe  12     likely undercounted
Great Crested Flycatcher  2     both birds seen clearly; large size and rufous tail distinctive
Eastern Kingbird  3
Philadelphia Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  3     1 singing
Barn Swallow  15     Loose foraging flock overhead for 10-15 minutes; minimum estimate of numbers
Gray Catbird  3
Cedar Waxwing  12     1 adult feeding fully-fledged juvenile
Northern Waterthrush  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  3
American Redstart  4
Cape May Warbler  1
Bay-breasted Warbler  2
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  7
Wilson's Warbler  1
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  6
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Indigo Bunting  5
Bobolink  1     heard calling in corn
Red-winged Blackbird  70

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39015568

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x202
http://vtecostudies.org/

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask] UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask] CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]