I've been helping a little with the Loon Preservation Committee's (LPC) local summer biologist. I can report that Loons in our nearby region are having a heck of a nesting season. Locally, nests on Cummins (1 nest)(Dorchester) and Goose Ponds (2 nests), all failed due to high water nest flooding. Reservoir Pond(Dorchester/Lyme) has a raft nest that also failed possibly due to interloper interference, 1 egg collected. Clark Pond (Canaan) also failed, nest abandoned, with 3 eggs recovered. Presumably a second nesting attempt with one egg left from the previous try....

The shining light locally was Post Pond with one chick hatched, but today... there was no chick present... The Post Pond pair warded off an interloper early in the month that got forced down Clay Brook in the big July rain. It was rescued a few days later below the water fall and remains in rehab after a failed release attempt.
So no so good news for our locals. These are the only ponds I'm sure of. I've heard there are chicks on Grafton Pond.

Dave Merker
Etna, New Hampshire
Cape May Raptor Banding Project Inc.
www.capemayraptors.org<http://www.capemayraptors.org>

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]