Yesterday, with sister-in-law Susan, we searched in vain from Crown Point, NY to Addison VT, stopping at Chimney Point, for the male tufted duck.

The trip, of course, was still rewarding and great fun. We had 3 rough-legged hawks, 9 red-tailed hawks, a male marsh hawk as gray as the sky, a peregrine, a Cooper's hawk, 2 bald eagles, many 100s of snow buntings and many 100s of horned larks, flock of 7 tree sparrows, berry-eating robins everywhere, 100s of common goldeneyes, 100s of lesser scaups, common and hooded mergansers, mallards and black ducks, Canada geese, a toothless dairy farmer named Phil who invited us into his home to warm up, his teeth on the table in front of him. And, very surprisingly, the birthplace of Johnny Padres (Moriah, NY), former ace of the Brooklyn Dodgers pitching staff in the mid-fifties, who beat the Yankees twice in the World Series.

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask] UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask] CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]