To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=GRAD;229479c3.1701p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo
Graduate Studies Listserv:
In this Newsletter:

Writing Help fro the RWIT Grad Tutors | Transitioning from researcher to educator: the many applications of a diverse scientific background. | The History and Relevancy of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) | Lab Management | Interested in learning more about research data management?
| Insight Data Fellowships | Grad Student Communications Coordinator | Subscription Details
Writing Help fro the RWIT Grad Tutors

Improve Your Writing While in Graduate School... go to the GRAD RWIT tutors

RWIT link to make an appt

https://writing-speech.dartmouth.edu/learning/support-writing-research-and-composing-technology/rwit

Tutors for Graduate Students

Ruth Heindel

Ruth is a PhD student in the Earth Sciences Department, working in Professor Ross Virginia's soils lab. She studies current soil processes in the Polar Regions using a wide range of field techniques. In Greenland, she studies wind-driven soil erosion and in Antarctica, phosphorus cycling in the Dry Valleys.

Ruth is a proud Vermonter, and loves spending time hiking, skiing, and running through the New England woods. She earned her BS in Geology-Biology at Brown University, where she also worked as a Writing Fellow. Before coming to Dartmouth as a graduate student, Ruth taught middle and high school science for two years at an independent school in Vermont. Ruth is a cellist in the Dartmouth Symphony Orchestra, and also enjoys cooking, reading, and drawing.

Kelli Hvorecny

Kelli, a PhD student in the Molecular and Cellular Biology Program (MCB), is a member of Professor Dean Madden’s group in the Biochemistry Department. In her current research, she is developing strategies to prevent the harmful effects of the bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Pa) in patients with underlying pulmonary conditions (such as cystic fibrosis).

Kelli hails from eastern Pennsylvania, south of "the town Billy Joel sang about," but not north enough to escape the grips of the Philly accent. She bleeds green, having attended Dartmouth for undergrad and returning, after a stint in the Big Apple, for graduate school. When not at her "home address," Vail 408 in the Biochemistry department, she may be found at the pottery studio or lost in the wilderness hiking and trail running. She enjoys reading science, fiction, and science fiction.

Writing Support for International Graduate Students

Are you an International Graduate Student looking for support with a writing project?

During the Winter and Spring terms this year, International Graduate Students may request a one-on-one appointment with Hannah Jung, a Staff Writing Consultant at RWIT.

How to make an appointment?
To make an appointment with Hannah, simply send her an email with the following information:
Your name and academic program
The nature of the work you'd like help with
Your availability for a meeting in the next 5-7 days (last-minute requests will be difficult to fulfill)
Hannah will respond and set up a time to meet, should it be possible. Hannah also has a few pre-scheduled hours at the RWIT center (Berry 183). You can search for her by using our online scheduler (rwit.dartmouth.edu), but keep in mind that the undergraduate tutors you may see listed on the schedule cannot work with you.

What kind of support can you receive?
Hannah cannot copyedit your materials, however, she can work with you on developing strategies to improve the polish and coherence of your written work. If you're working on an article, a thesis, a conference talk, a grant proposal, or just about any other kind of academic writing, she's a valuable resource.

Who is Hannah Jung?
Born in South Korea, Hannah spent half her life in the U.S. In 2015, she graduated Cum Laude from Dartmouth College, where she studied Sociology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. At RWIT, Dartmouth’s student writing center, Hannah served as Tutor, Writing Assistant and Thesis Tutor for three years. She also completed the Summer Institute in Narrative Medicine at Columbia University. In 2015 she was awarded the Class of 1962 Excellence in Peer Tutoring Award. Hannah spent the year following as UN Advocacy Fellow at Human Rights Watch in Geneva and New York. She also speaks Korean, Chinese and French.

Transitioning from researcher to educator: the many applications of a diverse scientific background.

Dr. Chery Whipple is the Associate Director of Science at Crossroads Academy, on the board of directors for the New Hampshire Academy of Science (NHAS), and a lead Instructor at the NHAS STEM center. Dr. Whipple will discuss a rare teaching opportunity offered by the NHAS STEM Center, where highly energetic, experienced, and engaging instructors will lead novel, hands-on research with exceptional middle and high school students. Dr. Whipple will also discuss the career path that brought her from her Ph.D., through 10 years of cancer research at Dartmouth Medical School, to teaching middle school science and helping to establish the first NHAS STEM Laboratory in NH.