Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - UV-BIRDERS Archives - LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

With all due respect to Cecelia and others who believe the immature Great
Cormorant at Kennedy (Mill) Pond is suffering from a wing injury, I have
solid firsthand evidence suggesting otherwise. I saw what was almost
certainly this individual flying in repeated large circles over Lake
Runnemede at 8:45 am on Friday morning, just as I arrived there. It
appeared to consider landing several times, but then departed to the south,
in the direction of Kennedy Pond. I stopped at Kennedy at 9:25. and the
cormorant was on the water, diving throughout the 5 minutes I observed it.

Both the bird's flight and diving behavior indicated that it is in good
physical condition. While it is curious that this cormorant (a local
rarity) has been present for over two months, mostly on Kennedy, but also
at least twice at Runnemede (and, we believe, at Lake Pinneo for about a
week in late October), it clearly has no problem flying between locations,
and it is obviously successful at finding food.

Again, with respect and appreciation for those who believe the bird is
injured or otherwise impaired and needs to be captured for rehab, I would
argue that we need stronger evidence before attempting any rescue attempt.
A water-based attempt would be difficult at best, and dangerous to both
rescuers and the bird at worst. Let's all keep a close eye on the cormorant
and come up with a more clear evaluation of its health.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x202
http://vtecostudies.org/

<http://vtecostudies.org/>

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]:  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]:  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]