To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=GRAD;2d814f70.1611p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo
Graduate Studies Listserv:
In this Newsletter:

Young Scientist Series | William & Mary 2017 Graduate Research Symposium Call for Abstracts | Science Policy Mini-Conference | U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
2017 HS-STEM Summer Internships
| Write Winning NIH Grant Proposals | Subscription Details
Young Scientist Series

I’d to share an opportunity that will be of interest to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. The Young Scientist Seminars (YSS) is a a video series produced by iBiology (ibiology.org) that features young scientists giving talks about their research and discoveries. It is a great opportunity for graduate students and postdocs interested in science communication and in sharing their work with an international audience of students, scientists, and educators. The YSS is a collaboration between the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation, the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science at Stony Brook University, and iBiology.

Participants in the YSS must apply to be selected. PhD candidates or postdocs with an interesting research story and good presentation skills are eligible to apply. Four winners will attend a multi-day workshop in San Francisco led by the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, a leading organization in training scientists to give effective talks, in collaboration with iBiology. After this training, the selected scientists will record their 30-minute talks in a green screen studio, which will be posted on iBiology.org as part of a the Young Scientist Seminars. The winners will also receive a $500 honorarium.

More information about the YSS and application details can be found at: bit.ly/ibioyss. Applications will be accepted October 12 through December 15, 2016. To watch the videos of the Young Scientist Seminars please visit: bit.ly/youngscisem.

William & Mary 2017 Graduate Research Symposium Call for Abstracts

Please forward the following information concerning abstract submission the 16th Annual Graduate Research to your graduate students in the following discipline(s): American Studies, Anthropology, Applied Science, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, History, Physics, Psychology, and Public Policy. Please visit our webpage http://www.wm.edu/as/grs for further information and details.
Thank you for your help!
The 2017 GRS Organizing Committee

2017 Graduate Research Symposium
March 24-25, 2017
William & Mary
Sadler Center
Williamsburg, Virginia
http://www.wm.edu/as/grs

Science Policy Mini-Conference

Hello Everybody,
We have some exciting news! We are ready to announce the Science Policy Mini Conference! It will take place on Saturday, November 12th from 10:30am-2:30pm. The talks will be in Haldeman 041. STEPS will also provide a lunch in between the speakers. There is no membership requirement to attend this event. You may also attend as much of the mini conference as your schedule allows, but we encourage you to attend the whole thing!

We will have two speakers that work in the field of science policy. Each talk will last for 90 mins, including at least 30 mins of discussion time.

Our first speaker is Dr. Heather Bloemhard from the American Astronomical Society. She will be giving the perspective of advocating for science from a professional society and the role professional societies play in our policy making.

Our second speaker is Dartmouth professor and clinician, Dr. H. Gilbert Welch. He has appointments in The Dartmouth Institute, Geisel School of Medicine, and the Tuck School of Business. Dr. Welch has written numerous best-selling books on public health matters related to the value of our healthcare system and the problems related to overdiagnosis. He will be talking about his advocacy in the public health realm.

Here is the Facebook link for this event: https://www.facebook.com/events/376003762789548/

Please RSVP by Facebook or email if you plan on joining us for this exciting event!

Also to keep on your calendars, we will be having a journal club lunch discussion on Tuesday, November 8th at 1pm in Haldeman 124. More info will be forthcoming.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Warren
STEPS Co-President

U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
2017 HS-STEM Summer Internships

Now accepting applications for

U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
2017 HS-STEM Summer Internships

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate Office of University Programs sponsors a 10-week summer internship program for students majoring in homeland security related science, technology, engineering and mathematics (HS-STEM) disciplines. The program provides students with quality research experiences at federal research facilities located across the country and allows students the opportunity to establish connections with DHS professionals. It is open to undergraduate and graduate students in a broad spectrum of HS-STEM disciplines and DHS mission-relevant Research Areas.

Undergraduate students receive a $6,000 stipend plus travel expenses.

Graduate students receive a $7,000 stipend plus travel expenses.

10-week research experiences are offered at: Coast Guard Research and Development Center ● Customs and Borders Protection ● Engineer Research and Development Center ● Federal Emergency Management Agency ● Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Health Service Corps ● National Security Technologies ● National Urban Security Technology Laboratory ● Naval Research Laboratory ● Office for Interoperabilty and Compatibility ● Transportation Security Laboratory ● DOE National Laboratories: Argonne, Berkeley, Idaho, Livermore, Los Alamos, Oak Ridge, Pacific Northwest, and Sandia

Areas of research: Engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biological / life sciences, environmental science, emergency and incident management, social sciences, and more.

U.S. citizenship required

Application deadline: December 7, 2016, 11:59PM EST

How to Apply: Applications and supporting materials must be submitted at
https://www.zintellect.com/Posting/Details/2595

Program Information: Detailed information about the internships can be found at
http://www.orau.gov/dhseducation/internships/

For questions please email us [log in to unmask]

Write Winning NIH Grant Proposals

Dartmouth GrantGPS invites you to attend the following seminar:

Write Winning NIH Grant Proposals

Note: this seminar will be particularly helpful for graduate students preparing for qualifying exams. The presenter will spend some time focusing on writing an NIH Specific Aims page and research strategy. However, it will also cover all aspects of an NIH R01 application, and should be beneficial for graduate students at any stage.