Chris Tonetti (GSB) will present:

"Late-in-Life Risks and the Under-Insurance Puzzle"

at 3pm on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 in 310 Silsby

Please sign up for a meeting, lunch, or dinner at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m6QqN5UUTJJl1-1iYxmEUBhyIfNjbREbZXQVYWnL7gU/edit?usp=sharing

Abstract

Individuals face significant late-in-life risks, including potential long-term care (LTC) needs. Yet they hold little corresponding insurance (LTCI). We investigate the degree to which a fundamental lack of interest and poor product features determine low LTCI holdings. We estimate a rich set of individual-level preferences and use a life-cycle model to find that better insurance would be far more widely held than are products in the market. We find that flaws in existing products provide only a partial explanation for this under-insurance puzzle, with analogous findings for the gap between estimated and actual annuity holdings. Our results derive from "strategic survey questions" that identify preferences as well as stated demand questions.

To unsubscribe from the ECONOMICS-SEMINARS list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=ECONOMICS-SEMINARS