They do nest in trees. I once camped on an island that turned out to be a heron rookery. There were many many herons perched in trees, including some skeletons hanging by their necks from branches.
mary

On 08/05/2016 09:58 AM, Cecelia Blair wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Last year a Great Blue Heron was being chased from the Lake Runnemede area by an eagle. It flew into a thick copse of hemlocks and white pine, perching precariously, as you said. The eagle zoomed by. Then the GBH took off again.

Cecelia Blair

Windsor, VT

From: Upper Valley Birders <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Laurel R. Stavis <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2016 9:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [UVB] Blue Heron behavior?

Late yesterday afternoon in downtown Lebanon, I saw a Great Blue Heron precariously perched among branches in a tall white pine behind the Methodist Church. I heard crows in the area so assumed perhaps it was being harried. I’d never seen a heron “perch” like that. It definitely seemed uncomfortable and ungainly, trying to gain some balance in the tree. After a few minutes it flew away. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Have also been seeing hummers in downtown Lebanon gardens.

Laurel Stavis.

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]