In fact, there are "butter bells" sold by the occasional potter in the US (I know the very craft-oriented town where I used to live had them for sale everywhere, and I think my sister bought one) that are to be used exactly this way; they are basically just dishes with handles on the bottom. I'm not sure whether it was a thing there in particular because it was a formerly very poor area where refrigeration would have been hard to come by in the past, or whether it was just Berea potters discovering that there was a market for them, but they were ubiquitous.

Julie

Sent from my iPhone