Signs of seasonal turnover were evident on Mt. Mansfield this week, as VCE
hit the two-month mark in our 25th consecutive year of studying the
ridgeline’s breeding birds. Free-flying juveniles, molting adults and
non-local dispersers are beginning to supplant the resident breeders in our
mist nets. Hoping to dodge predicted thunderstorms, Jason Hill, Susan
Hindinger, Grace Mitchum, Amber Wolf and I arrived early Wednesday evening.
Temperatures were as warm as they ever get at 3900′ elevation, with the
mercury reading 73 degrees F and the air decidedly muggy, but just short of
stifling, thanks to a steady 10-15 mph west wind.

We set our usual array of 25 mist nets, took in a fine sunset, and were
grateful the t’storms passed north. By nightfall we had captured 10 birds,
including the season’s first juvenile Bicknell’s Thrush (BITH) and
Dark-eyed Junco. The dusk chorus was surprisingly robust, as BITH called
and sang with gusto, complemented by the more subdued songs of Swainson’s
Thrush and the sweet refrains of White-throated Sparrows.

Clouds lowered onto the ridgeline overnight, but temperatures remained
relatively balmy (61F at 4 am). Dawn emerged slowly as we began opening
nets at 0415, but the sluggish avian activity picked up markedly as a
rising sun worked to dispel the sweeping clouds. Banding was steady, and we
accumulated 60 captures by the time nets were down in early afternoon.
Blackpoll Warblers topped the numeric chart, with 17 individuals netted,
including 5 new males, 5 new females, 2 juveniles, and 3 males from
previous years. Surprisingly, none of us heard a single song all day,
evidence that local adults are busy tending their young. Of the 11 adult
Blackpolls we examined carefully for signs of flight feather molt, 8 had
dropped their innermost primaries, signaling the imminent end of breeding
activities and a switch to preparation for the long-distance southward
migration
<http://vtecostudies.org/blog/the-blackpoll-warblers-daring-ocean-migration/>.
We captured several adults of other species in active primary molt,
including a Black-throated Blue Warbler.

As always at this time of year, our nets yielded a few surprises. Foremost
among them was an adult female Least Flycatcher, the first of this species
we have captured on the ridgeline in 25 years, including the autumns of
1995-97, when we conducted a fall migration banding study
<http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1676/0043-5643%282000%29112%5B0124:MSAPDA%5D2.0.CO%3B2>.
Obligingly, this bird was netted with a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher,
providing a rare opportunity to simultaneously examine these two similar
species. Other captures of non-local birds included a single adult female
Downy Woodpecker and Blackburnian Warbler, and two adult Black-throated
Blue Warblers. While it may not feel like summer is on the wane —and
certainly no one wants to hear it — the birds are telling us that changes
are in store.
Banding totals:
Downy Woodpecker   1 adult female in mid-primary molt
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher   1 adult
Least Flycatcher   1 adult female w/regressing brood patch
Red-breasted Nuthatch   1 juvenile
Bicknell's Thrush   8 (3 new adults, 2 juveniles, 3 within-season
recaptures)
Swainson's Thrush   6 (1 new male, 1 return male, 4 within-season
recaptures)
American Robin   2 free-flying juveniles
Magnolia Warbler   1 adult female
Blackburnian Warbler   1 adult female
Blackpoll Warbler   17 (10 new adults, 2 juveniles, 3 return males, 2
within-season recaptures)
Black-throated Blue Warbler   2 (adult male and female)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)   7 (4 new adults, 1 juvenile, 2
within-season recaptures)
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)   8 (4 new adults, 1 recently-fledged
juvenile, 3 within-season recaptures)
White-throated Sparrow   5 (1 new female, 1 juvenile, 3 within-season
recaptures)

To see Chuck Gangas's great photos of some of these birds, check out the
VCE blog at
http://vtecostudies.org/blog/seasonal-changes-in-evidence-on-mt-mansfield/

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x1
http://vtecostudies.org/

<http://vtecostudies.org/>

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]:  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]:  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]