Maybe 10 days ago, the Valley News had a good article about the Saltmarsh Sparrow. And its plight, of declining numbers.

For years I have found them at the salt marsh I bird near Hyannis.  Had 3 one morning, 2 several times this week.  Cool bird. They lurk at marsh and beach edge on the marsh side of the barrier, not the ocean side.   Behavior:  ya gotta look quick, as they pop up and disappear.  Sometimes ya get lucky and they sit for a bit.   Nice “ochre” color cheek patch.  Skinny tail.   Sparrow.

Mystery Trail this am.  What a fine spot.  Such a mix of habitats and birds.   Walked in from the winter gate.

                I was greeted by the “bee-bzzzz-bzzz’” of the Golden-w. Warbler.  I did spend a fair amount of time to get a decent look. It flew across river, from

tree to tree,  prefering the Basswoods.

4 (+) Alder Flycatchers  (“free-bee”)

1 Willow Flyc.                     (fitz-bew”)

2 EWPW                               (pee-ah-wee)

Ea Kingbirds, orioles, mamma Wood Duck with 10 “day-old” chicks.

Lots of warblers: yellow, chest-sided, redstarts, etc

Am. Bittern    vocalizing

And a cool wood turtle (took pics) right by the wood bridge by lonesome pine.

By Sandy Beach:  I counted 6 species of fern on the rock ledge.

6 Species of butterflies at home yesterday:  CA. Tiger swallowtail, clouded sulphur, spring azure, Hobomock Skipper, Co. ringlet, Co. Wood nymph.

Happy days

BiSh

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]