​Yesterday very early afternoon on the Linny Levin Trail at UVLT's Zebedee Wetland, a Virginia Rail in the grasses to right of entrance gate beaver dam.  Unseen but positively identified by ear.  Practically at our feet, could hear movements plus the "kid-dik" sound, but remained invisible.  Sounded disturbed, so we moved on.  I believe I've heard a Rail scold in about that same place previous years but couldn't imagine what it was...

Also, some Ruby-Crowned Kinglets in the pines, a couple of bright Yellow-Rumped Warblers in and out high above marsh edge, basking Painted Turtles, two brooding Canada Geese hiding in plain sight and a visiting naturalist marveling at this lovely preserve.

Earlier, at Chaffee Sanctuary in Lyme in a chill northwest wind, mated pair of Wood Ducks as well as pair of Mallards, dozens of Common Grackles - looks like they've moved into one of the duck boxes - is that common? -  and two Loons fishing at opposite ends of Post Pond as though they don't even know each other.

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]