Reading about the distressed loon was very upsetting. The likelihood that in the end it perished even more so.

Reviewing the few e-mail exchanges about the event, put up on the UV-Birders list-serv, I cannot help wondering about the absence of a protocol for intervening or the urgency for implementing one.

Best as I can tell, from what communication I saw, only one agent, VCE, was contacted, and that had a distinct "hopefully," quality about it.

By my count, there are four agencies that could have responded - VT Fish and Wildlife, VINS, the Loon Center in Moultonborough, NH and VCE - yet, I don't see any evidence they were contacted.

By all accounts, rescuing that bird out in the middle of Lake Morey would have been challenging, and I am not advocating putting anyone's life at risk to have done that. Just the same, this is a species whose situation is precarious, suggesting a more aggressive response to that bird's peril was warranted and might have been mounted had the overseers of its well-being been contacted, which based on e-mail evidence did not happen.

Did I miss something in an e-mail exchange that would warrant a revision of my assessment?

Blake Allison
Lyme, NH 03768-3322

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]