Upper Valley birders - I want to follow up the recent posts and
expressions of concern about the two loons that were "trapped" in an
open lead on icebound Lake Morey. This has been indeed a distressing
situation, although one that occurs annually during the period of
freeze-up on northern lakes. It creates a complicated dilemma for us
humans wishing to intervene.

Many of you know that the Vermont Center for Ecostudies (VCE), in
long-term partnership with the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department
(VFWD), coordinates the statewide monitoring and protection of Vermont's
breeding loons. You can learn more at our web site:
http://vtecostudies.org/projects/lakes-ponds/common-loon-conservation/.
VCE's Loon Biologist Eric Hanson is based in Craftsbury, but covers the
entire state, which has become more challenging as Vermont's population
has increased from a low of 8 nesting pairs in the mid-1980s to 87 this
past summer. Eric, who technically is employed by VCE for only 6 months
each year (roughly April through October), has spearheaded numerous loon
"rescues" over the years and was made aware early on of the situation on
Lake Morey. He and I communicated earlier today, and I have distilled
some of his thoughts below.

Rescuing a loon from an open patch of water surrounded by ice is tricky,
to say the least.  VCE and VFWD do have a protocol to guide our actions
so that any rescue is performed in a safe manner.  More often than not,
loons actually can take off from small openings of 30-100 feet.  We've
documented two such cases already this year.  If the hole becomes too
small for a take-off attempt, we usually wait for the hole to freeze
over and then walk out and retrieve the loon - a dangerous process that
requires extreme care.  A loon swimming in an opening can often keep the
water open for a week or more, allowing time for the surrounding ice to
thicken and become safe for humans.  According to the Tufts Wildlife
Clinic <http://vet.tufts.edu/tufts-wildlife-clinic/>, a loon can survive
1-2 weeks without much food and so might not need to feed while trapped
in the opening.   Monitoring is crucial to determine when to try to
venture out on the ice.  If we the bird is captured and in reasonable
health, then it will be transported to a long-term open water area, such
as Lake Champlain or a coastal site (nearly all loons overwinter in
nearshore coastal waters), and released. If a captured loon is injured,
sick, weak, or otherwise compromised physically, it would be brought to
VINS for rehabilitation.

In Eric's nearly 20 years as VCE's Loon Biologist, he has performed 6
ice rescues and monitored dozens more. In most cases, we believe the
birds were able to take off, although some may have drowned, as has been
suggested one of both of the Lake Morey loons. For these two birds, VCE
was monitoring the situation (with help from several of you), and VFWD
game warden Jeff Whipple was ready to help when the time came to attempt
a rescue.  We follow similar protocols to the Loon Preservation
Committee <http://www.loon.org/> in NH. In this case, the presence of
nearby eagles obviously made the loons dive more than in most other
situations Eric has observed, when trapped loons tend to stay put and
dive very little. With yesterday's warm weather and rain, there is a
chance, maybe remote, that the remaining loon was able to take flight on
watery ice surface. Eric reports that this happened about 10 years ago
on Lake Morey.

I hope this allays some concerns that inadequate action was taken on the
behalf of the two Morey loons. It would not have been feasible, or
prudent, to include the listserve on all e-mail traffic that occurred
between Eric Hanson and VFWD game warden Jeff Whipple, but rest assured
that the situation was being monitored closely. We sincerely appreciate
the individuals who drew attention to this situation, and we can only
hope that the second bird made it safely off the lake. This is an
age-old problem for loons, especially in a winter like this one when
more birds than normal may be induced to linger further north, then a
dramatic cold snap like last week's causes a sudden freeze-up. Some
individuals make it, some don't. It certainly helps to have so many
concerned eyes keeping track!

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]:  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]:  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]