Blake,

FYI: I was first alerted to the plight of one loon on Friday morning. By
Saturday morning a second loon had joined the first. Two biologists, one I
was told was from USFWS and the other from the state, happened to be parked
on the shoulder of the LM road with their binoculars raised, when a friend
of mine stopped to see what they were watching. The biologists, who were
conducting an annual wintering bald eagles survey, noticed the the loons in
distress. The first bird (I assume it was the first one) happened to die in
their presence. Dove and never surfaced.

That's when I received a call. It would have been much sadder for me if the
loons had been oil-soaked on the beach, which would have been a problem
people caused. Events like miscalculated landing space on a frozen like
likely occurs every year everywhere throughout the range of common loons.
In much the same manner an immature peregrine might whack into the side of
Winslow Ledge or the Fairlee Cliffs, or an immature osprey latches on to a
bluefish or striped bass that is way too big and is pulled below the
surface. Or an immature mammoth wandering out onto La Brea Tar Pit for a
drink of surface rainwater unaware of the tar below.

As a professional naturalist, steeped in evolutionary biology, I accept
this as a weeding out process, the elimination of genes from the breeding
population. It is an act of natural selection that people don't often see,
not unlike predation or starvation. Conservation is all about the success
of the species, not the misery of the individual. Having just finished six
years working in the field with timber rattlesnakes you'd be surprised how
many field biologists told me they would kill a black racer whenever they
caught one dining on a baby rattlesnake.

These loons might or might not have been *our* VT or NH birds. They could
have been from Labrador or Michigan or Greenland. The ice was thin, the
distance far, and as far as I was the concerned the risk too great for
anyone to attempt a rescue. Besides, the bald eagles and snapping turtles
have to eat too.

Ted