We have had red squirrels at our feeders here for 30 years, and grays on an occasional basis the past few years. We don't have oaks here, so gray squirrels do not have their preferred food. This year, however, we have one squirrel which appears to be a cross between the two species. It is nearly twice as large as a red, but much smaller than a gray, and is white underneath, but red and gray on back and sides. VCE says it is a red, but I am not convinced.
Interesting times...

Sent from my iPad