Filipe Campante (Harvard) will present:

"The Intergenerational Transmission of War"

at 3pm on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 in 310 Silsby

***THERE ARE STILL SEVERAL SLOTS AVAILABLE***

Please sign up for a meeting, lunch or dinner at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a1mSqilB8zjKoPkw63Wp3Moc9rFbnyl-J6VLmFVv76g/edit?usp=sharing

Abstract

Does war service by one generation affect service by the next generation in later wars? Using data from major U.S. 20th-century wars, we exploit that closeness to age 21 at a time of war is a key determinant of the likelihood of participation. We find that a generation's war service experience positively affects service by the next generation, with each war having substantially impacted those that followed. The evidence is consistent with cultural transmission, and indicates that a history of wars can help overcome the collective action problem of getting citizens to volunteer for war service.