Highlights among 21 bird species found during almost 3 hours of afternoon birding today at Campbell Flats in Norwich, VT, included an unusual and unseasonably late Yellow-bllled Cuckoo, which showed, among other features, the contrasting patch of bright rufous on the wing as it flew. Found by the northeastern corner of the recently harvested cornfield, the bird flew off in the direction of the Ompompanoosuc River. Our search to relocate the bird was unsuccessful.

Another highlight was an Orange-crowned Warbler along the drainage stream not far from where Chris Rimmer found one this morning but on the opposite side of Campbell Flats Road.

Chris reported from this morning presence of numerous sparrows. We found that many of these sparrows were difficult to see well as they flew out from concealment in the weedy edges of the cornfield and then became partially or fully hidden in still leafy shrubbery bordering the corn field. Song Sparrows appeared to be most numerous among the sparrows.

Additional details about these and other birds at Campbell Flats this afternoon can be found at
http://ebird.org/ebird/vt/view/checklist?subID=S25508804 <http://ebird.org/ebird/vt/view/checklist?subID=S25508804>

George Clark
Norwich, VT