Three common loons continue to be seen on an almost daily basis on Post Pond. They look to be this year's two hatchlings, now juveniles, and one adult. Also seen on that outing were a great blue heron and five wood ducks that included a male in its splendid breeding plumage.

The first dark-eyed junco showed up in the yard on October 3rd. Beginning this past Tuesday small flocks of juncos, ranging from five to twelve individuals, began passing through the yard daily.

A barred owl has been calling from the adjacent woods off and on over the past two weeks.

A red-tailed hawk continues to hunt the fields across from the house on an intermittent basis. Needless to say, we don't let my daughter's pomeranian go out unescorted.

The first of the season flock of migrating Canada geese passed high over the house Saturday morning, perhaps 50 individuals in number, flying purposefully in single file formation.
It's never dull.

Blake Allison
Lyme, NH 03768-3322