Thanks to Scott Johnston for timely reporting of his great find (and to
VCE colleague Jason Hill for alerting me to it), I just returned from
Wilder Dam, where I had exceptional looks at the nonbreeding-plumaged
Red-throated Loon there.  I left at 5:45 pm, and the bird didn't look as
if it was about to leave (where would it go anyway, with open water at a
premium??).  There were 2 Common Mergansers nearby and 2 adult Bald
Eagles in a white pine 250 yards downstream on the Vermont shore.

Remarkable record for the Connecticut River in mid-March!

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies