Lynne Pepall & Dan Richards (Tufts) will present:

"Competition, Selectivity and Innovation in the Higher Educational Market"

at 3pm on Friday, March 6, 2015 in 310 Silsby

Please sign up for a meeting, breakfast, lunch, or dinner at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rRvdrL0A9YfJWFSHS_5QO7teK_YommuXdftn7IlEtHo/edit?usp=sharing

Abstract

Recent innovations in digital learning and web-based technologies have enabled scalability in educational services that has previously not been feasible presenting a potential disruption in traditional higher education markets. This paper explores the impact of these innovations in a vertically differentiated higher educational market with both selective and nonselective institutions. Selective institutions are characterized by peer effects and a revenue model that assures quality. Nonselective institutions have open admissions and are tuition driven. Students differ in their ability to benefit from educational services. We describe how selective and nonselective institutions compete for students though tuition and admission criteria and how free non-credentialed educational services such as MOOCs affect the market equilibrium. Our model also helps explain why selective institutions are the main proprietors of MOOCs.