?Great opportunity for film students! See attached flyer. You may contact Timothy McNamara directly if you would like to discuss the project with him.?

Mykel

________________________________
From: Timothy J. McNamara
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:21 AM
To: Mykel M. Nairne
Cc: Daniel M. Nelson; Jeffrey K. Ruoff
Subject: Documentary on Second College Grant

Dear Mykel:

Jeff Ruoff referred me to you.  I chair the Management Committee for the Second College Grant in northern NH.  I not sure how much you know about the Grant, but for purposes of reference it is a 27,000 acre forest that has been owned by the College for some 200 years.  There are a variety of activities that go on at the site, including sustainable timber harvesting operations (which generate an annual return to Dartmouth), academic research, outdoor recreation (cabins and trails used extensively by Dartmouth students, alumni, and employees), and wildlife habitat.  Our committee is interested in producing a short documentary which would focus on our sustainable timber harvesting program, but which might also address other aspects of the property.  It occurred to me that this might present a great opportunity for students interested in film.

We have recently instituted a student internship program at the Grant, which we will inaugurate this coming summer.  The program will provide two students with a $3,500 stipend (each) to live at the Grant over summer term and pursue a project relating to the outdoors in general or to the Grant in particular.  I am attaching a promotional flyer for these internships.  While most of our logging is conducted during the winter, we do perform limited work over the summer months, and it would provide an opportunity to film logging operations.  We might also consider an additional stipend for internship work during the winter.

Please let me know if you think that a film student or students might be interested in discussing this project with us.

Best wishes,

Tim McNamara

Timothy J. McNamara '78
Associate Director
Dartmouth College Campus Planning and Facilities
P.O. Box 5188, Hanover, NH  03755
(O) 603.646.0936  (M) 603.667.1005