This Saturday, January 10, we're looking for sharp eyes to help find
eagles on the White River.  As part of Vermont's annual mid-winter eagle
survey, coordinated statewide by Audubon Vermont, several of us will
survey the White River from Sharon to White River Junction. This route
has had Bald Eagles in several years, and there is always the
possibility of a wayward Golden Eagle.  We'll drive the route at a
leisurely pace, stopping frequently to scan the river, where we'll
likely see at least some waterfowl, as well as other winter birds along
the route.  I expect the survey to take about 2 hours.  We'll stop at
the Wilder Dam afterwards, where we'll be almost sure to find a Bald
Eagle or two, although someone else is conducting the "official" survey
there.

For anyone wishing to join George Clark, Sara Eisenhauer and me, we'll
have two meeting/carpooling spots.  One will be at the Ledyard Bridge
park-and-ride, where we'll meet at 8:30 am.  The second will be at the
Sharon park-and-ride, where we'll convene at 9:00 am, meeting Ed Hack.
For those meeting us in Sharon, I _won't_ be returning there, so someone
in addition to me would need to drive.

Although the weather forecast calls for somewhat warmer temperatures
than today's, please dress warmly and wear winter boots.  Bring
binoculars and a spotting scope if you have them.  We'll be in and out
of vehicles frequently, and walking short distances, but this is
primarily a roadside survey.

I'll hope to see some of you this Saturday.

Chris

P.S.  In the crab apples by Fogg's Hardware in Norwich this morning,
there was a mixed flock of >100 Cedar Waxwings (I counted 105, but there
were likely 125+), 12 American Robins, and 65 European Starlings.  I
looked closely for a Bohemian among the waxwings, but no such luck.

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies