On 2014 Dec 1, at 11:16, John Weinshel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'm not quite following. Is Pqr in Table A? If so, its indexing and/or storage is not the problem.

Well, that’s what I thot as well, but I don’t do this sort of thing very often, so my confidence level was low.

Armed with your reassurance, I went back and took another look at it and discovered that I was trying to connect Pqr with the wrong value from Table X (not Xyz, as it should have been, but rather the primary key for Table X). Once I established the proper link, all the data showed up in the portal just as they should have.

Thanks for putting me on the right track, John.

If Pqr is in Table X, then, yes, it must be indexable.

If it's in Table A, can you describe what happens, i.e., what you mean by 'it doesn't seem to be working'?

If it's in Table A, you may be running into a situation where the the key can evaluate to null or empty, and that can break a TO. This was a change introduced in Filemaker 9 (the ESS release), in order to comport more with SQL rules.

John Weinshel

From: "Richard S. Russell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 03:28:34 -0600
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Creating a Relationship Using a Global Field

So here in Table A I have a numeric field, Abc, and a global field, Ghi.

Over there in Table X I’ve got a numeric field, Xyz, an indexed decimal number.

What I’m trying to do is have a calculated field in Table A, Pqr = Abc + Ghi / 1000, link to Xyz. Obviously, Pqr can’t be stored, because it relies on a global field for part of its value. Not being stored means it can’t be indexed. Nonetheless, Xyz is indexed, and I thot that was all it took to establish a valid relationship.

It doesn’t seem to be working, tho. Am I missing something, or is this just not gonna work?