Sorry it took so long!

UVCB Rehearsal

Monday, Nov. 3

Warm-up:  Strike Up the Band

Tune

Benny Goodman: King of Swing (working up through m. 66)

-      Intro:

a.  dynamics, articulation, tempo change

b.  rhythmic unity

-      “Let’s Dance”

a.  flutes/trpts/tbns

b.  Cl/Sax – chord changes

-      “Stompin’ at the Savoy”

a. transition from “Let’s Dance” into m. 40

b.  Clarinets – melody (intonation/unity

c.  Bass Cl/tuba/SB with Bsn/horns – rhythmic impetus

d.  Tpt/tbn:  chord changes – rhythmic accuracy

e.  melodic transitions from one instrument to another

f.  key change at m. 64

Puszta:  IV

-      On your own, review (mark if needed) repeats, codas, etc.

-      Beginning: upbeat of 16th note

-      Work intro section; parts must move together – please make sure you are subdividing when you practice this.

-      A section:

a.  articulation

b.  when practicing, don’t worry about the accelerando for now; we’ll practice that as a group

c.  change in this section:  intro had many uneven rhythms; now we’re back to mostly straight 8ths

     -    B section:

          a.  tempo:  when practicing, start slowly and make sure your rhythms (and notes!) are accurate.

          THEN begin to increase your tempo.  Make sure the rhythmic relationships are true (ie, 16th notes

          are exactly double the speed of 8th notes).  Use a metronome if you need it.

-      D section:

a.  we’ll work this in the same manner as the intro

     -    Coda:

           a.  again, aiming for rhythmic clarity/unity

English Folk Song Suite:

-      III – March – “Folk Songs from Somerset”

a.  we’ll sightread through again

b.  we’ll play through again, isolating sections to work on balance of band with soloists

c.  when practicing, please pay attention to the RESTS!  They are very important

Chant and Jubilo:

-      We’ll play through piece, but will isolate instruments that move rhythmically together; once we’ve worked on rhythmic issues, we’ll play through as a whole

Cindy’s Work:

-      Italian Holiday

-      Greensleeves

-      March?

Highlights from Frozen:

-      Section by section…not worrying about transitions tonight

-      We’ll start at m. 89 and work from there