Based on the work of Andrews (1993), Brunnbauer (2004), and Pieroni (2008), we suggested an introduction of maize to northern Albania in the 1520s (Galaty et al. 2013: 110), probably via Egypt (Albanian for maize is misr = Egypt, Egyptian corn). This date also coincided with a surge in our demographic data. A combination of Ottoman expansion, e.g. of the ciflik system, the effects of the Little Ice Age, and retreat to the mountains made maize a very attractive product. Beans and potatoes appear to have come quite a but later.  But this evidence is circumstantial.  What we really need is for Medieval-Ottoman archaeologists to float and conduct phytolith studies so we can track and date the movement of these food complexes.  That would be cool.

Andrews, J. 1993  Diffusion of Mesoamerican food complex to southeastern Europe.  Geographical Review 83: 194-204.

Brunnbauer, U. 2004 Environment, markets, and the state: Human adaptation in the Balkan mountains, 19th-early 20th centuries. Ethnologia Balkanica 8: 129-154.

Galaty, M. et al. 2013 Light and shadow: Isolation and interaction in the Shala Valley of northern Albania.  Cotsen/UCLA.

Pieroni, A. 2008 Local plant resources in the ethnobotany of Theth, a village in the northern Albanian  Alps. Genetic resources and crop evolution 55: 1197-1214.

Michael L. Galaty
Academic Trustee, Archaeological Institute of America
Professor and Department Head
Anthropology and Middle Eastern Cultures
Mississippi State University
P.O. Box AR
Mississippi State, MS 39762
662-325-7525

>>> Lisa French <[log in to unmask]> 8/20/2014 5:22 AM >>>

Fun but it is Ottoman/modern.

Years ago when we were working in Turkey with all the archaeobotanists we started tracing when the South American foods arrived there - from Spain via North Africa.  The earliest we found was 1581 (Busbeq's trip to Amasia).  I also heard from Colin Leakey (who among other things advised Heinz about beans) that beans probably reached the west across Asia.

I would love to hear what the latest data is on all this.

I tried with Sibby Postgate to reconstruct the Bronze Age diet in a diagram based on an advert for olive oil margarine lauding the Mediterranean diet. We got it as accurate as we could in 2002.  I can send it to anyone who would like it as a pdf attachmet..

Lisa French

.  .

To unsubscribe from the ANCIENT-FOOD-TECH list, click the following link:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?TICKET=NzM1NDk1IG1nYWxhdHlAQU5USFJPLk1TU1RBVEUuRURVIEFOQ0lFTlQtRk9PRC1URUNIILooaxgxCsz5&c=SIGNOFF

To unsubscribe from the ANCIENT-FOOD-TECH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=ANCIENT-FOOD-TECH