Just missed your post Kathryn, but appreciate your thoughts - particularly what effect ridges
might have in strengthening the pot.  You've answered/repeated the question I posed, the same thought occurred to me.  I don't know how valid this is, but is it possible, like barbecuing/grilling today the resulting mark on the food make it look more appetizing/or well-done?  if we had evidence of the food being cooked we might better be able to answer the question.

Bea

Beatrice Hopkinson
Beatrice Hopkinson, Hon. Secretary, L.A Branch, Oxford University Society.
President, DBSAT (Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust)
Board AIA (Archaeological Institute of America),
Affiliate, Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, UCLA