Dear friends and fellow band members,

Thanks for a great season! It's really great to play with such a wonderful group of people. I have played in other groups, but none have had the warmth and camaraderie of UVCB. Yea for us!!

The reason I am writing, however, is to ask for your help. I am running in a road race in Boston called Run To Home Base, designed to help our veterans and their families. I have included some information below, but basically I am trying to raise $750.00 for this event. I have included a link to my fundraising page, but feel free to check out their website at runtohomebase.org. My direct link is http://www.runtohomebase.org/2014RunToHomeBase/VermontRunnings

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and please know any donation made through the website goes directly to the organization, not to me, so no worries about any shady activity going on. I hope you consider this very important cause for those who have given so much.

I look forward to seeing all of you on July 13 in Barnard!

Jon Barrett
(you know, the trombone player with visions of voice-over grandeur!)

The Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Home Base Program helps Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families heal from the invisible wounds of war -- post traumatic stress (PTS) and traumatic brain injury (TBI) -- through world class clinical care, community education and research. These invisible wounds are estimated to affect one in three returning veterans, and can affect the entire family.
The Home Base Program operates one of the only private sector clinics in the nation dedicated to healing the “invisible wounds” of war for returning Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families.  Home Base is the first program of its kind, a philanthropic partnership between an Academic Medical Center and a Major League Baseball team, dedicated to serving returning veterans and their families.

Since the fall of 2009, the Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Home Base Program has: provided clinical care and support for 1,000 veterans and family members from all six New England states; provided additional support for thousands of veterans and family members through free recreational activities, work in public schools, and on college campuses. In addition, Home Base has trained more than 11,000 clinicians nationwide to recognize and treat the invisible wounds in their medical practices, and the program is engaged in national research to improve the treatment and understanding of PTS and TBI.
Home Base serves Post 9/11 veterans and military families throughout New England.  Outpatient clinical care for treatment of PTS and TBI is provided at Massachusetts General Hospital and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital. Home Base provides care for the entire military family including spouses, parents, children, siblings, and romantic partners. Home Base serves veterans who have a less than honorable discharge, and provides care regardless of insurance status.  While Home Base is required to bill insurance, if a veteran or family member is uninsured or underinsured, they will not receive a bill from Home Base.
To learn more or to make an appointment, visit www.homebaseprogram.org