Thank you for the responses, everyone.

Update: I was able to isolate one or two paragraphs that were causing problems. Any changes in the document beyond those paragraphs caused no trouble. Any changes made to those paragraphs caused problems. So did changes in prior paragraphs that caused those paragraphs to move down the page. I sent the file to Nisus. In the interim, while the good folks at Nisus worked on the problem, I copied and pasted the entire document except for the pesky paragraphs into a new file, then typed those paragraphs in fresh. This seems to have produced a usable file, though it is a bit slow at points, especially when it comes to saving. So Erik and I came to similar conclusions from completely different angles (total frustration vs. knowledgable systematic experimentation.) Then I heard from Nisus. They said provisionally there was some kind of Track Changes glitch in my file; turning it on and off, opening and closing the pane, reject/accept all, and things like that should be a way to isolate or alleviate the problem. This did fix one problem: part of the text seemed to have disappeared and when I open the t/c pane it reappeared. But it did not resolve the hanging caused by any changes to that small section. Nisus are continuing to work on the file.

Yours,
Simi
Simeon Chavel
Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
The University of Chicago Divinity School