Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - BAHASA Archives - LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Nothing new about this usage of saya as we were taught to use SAYA to mean
'yes' when answering a call from our parents.

On 1 August 2013 05:00, BAHASA automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. saya vs. aku
>   2. BAHASA Digest - 29 Jul 2013 to 30 Jul 2013 (#2013-8) Re: saya vs. aku
> (3)
>   3. BAHASA Digest - 29 Jul 2013 to 30 Jul 2013 (#2013-8)

> Date:    Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:29:48 +0700
> From:    E B <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: saya vs. aku
>
> What's the proper personal pronoun to use when addressing servants or other
> of one's workers in West Java, speaking Indonesian?
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:10:15 +0000
> From:    George Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: BAHASA Digest - 29 Jul 2013 to 30 Jul 2013 (#2013-8) Re: saya
> vs. aku
>
> I've just come back from a visit to Ternate in north Maluku. There I was
> bemused to hear "saya" still being used in some contexts as a respectful
> word for "yes". E.g. Quinn: "Gunung Gamalama indah sekali!" Local citizen
> agreeing: "Saya."
> I recall that this use of "saya" used to be fairly common in Java 50 years
> ago when younger or lower status people addressed older or higher status
> people (e.g. servant addressing boss), but it seems to have disappeared...
> except in north Maluku! Is it still heard elsewhere in Indonesia?
> --
> Dr George Quinn,
> Adjunct Professor & Visiting Fellow, ANU College of Asia and the Pacific,
> Member, ANU Emeritus Faculty,
> Australian National University,
> Canberra ACT 0200,
> Australia.
>
> ** To view some of my shorter studies on Javanese language, literature &
> religion go to:
> http://anu.academia.edu/GQuinn
>
> ** For information on Canberra's Balai Bahasa Indonesia (ACT) go to:
> http://bbiact.wordpress.com

Sallehuddin Abdullah-Sani
Senior Lector in Indonesian
Department of South East Asia
Faculty of Languages and Cultures at SOAS
Thornhaugh Street
London WC1H 0XG
+44 207 898 4256