I never encounter the use of "Saya" in the context of Master-Slave relationship. The word "Hamba" is usually used. When "Sahaya/Saya" used to address a feudal master, it is the same as using it to address a Kepala kampung or university rector in contemporary Indonesia: Formality's sake.

-Saut Situmorang

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM, BAHASA automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Topics of the day:

  1. saya vs. aku (5)
  2. BAHASA Digest - 28 Jul 2013 to 29 Jul 2013 (#2013-7)

Date:    Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:05:47 +0700
From:    E B <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: saya vs. aku

Doesn't "saya" have an etymology of meaning "slave" or "servant", the same
way the "abdi" can mean "servant" or "I" in Javanese?

In Malay, they often just use "I" instead of  "saya". One could probably
get away with that in Indonesia; but I haven't tried it, yet.

Those are very good links (
http://www.ausdag.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Aku%20dan%20Saya &
http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/showthread.php/20880-Bahasa-Kita?p=221283&viewfull=1#post221283
&