Loon with chicks
LoonWatch 2013

Dear Loonwatch Volunteers,

I hope everyone is having a good start to the summer despite the colder temperatures and drizzly weather.   I've spent much of the past week looking for a bird tangled in fishing line on Green River Reservoir unsuccessfully (but discovered a new nest in the process), helping a loon that crash-landed on a road in Smugglers Notch (now swimming freely on Waterbury Res.), and working on the new loon database with the help of Terry Donovan at UVM.

We've confirmed over 56 nesting pairs as of mid-June. We may not see the 70 nests that we saw in 2012, as it is starting to be late for the initiation of nests.  It may be that our higher population is starting to affect the number of birds that nest because of territorial disputes, while fluctuating water levels may have also delayed or prevented some nesting.

LoonWatch Day is Saturday, July 20th
  • 8 - 9 AM for lakes under 300 acres (30 minute surveys)
  • 6 - 10 AM for lakes greater than 300 acres (surveys could take several hours)
If you cannot survey the morning of the 20th because of weather or a conflict, try to survey at another time in this order of priority:
  • Saturday, July 20th - afternoon
  • Friday, July 19th
  • Sunday, July 21st

LoonWatch Lake Assignments

LoonWatch lake assignments can be viewed alphabetically by volunteer last name or alphabetically by lake name.  Please check your lake assignment and reply to this email to confirm you are available to participate this year.

If you are not assigned or have been unassigned, please look at the available lakes and email me  if you are able to survey them.

Consider surveying another lake nearby your primary lake. Scan the available lakes list.   If you can take on an extra lake or two, please contact me.

If you want to change lakes, just let me know.

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO CONFIRM WHETHER YOU CAN OR CANNOT SURVEY YOUR LAKE THIS YEAR.
LoonWatch Observing and Recording

1.  Visit your lake during the appropriate time listed above.

2.  Observe for a minimum of 30 minutes on smaller lakes and up to several hours on larger lakes.

3.  Record only the first sighting of each loon.

3.  Record your observations on the LoonWatch Data Form 2013.

4.  Draw a simple sketch of the lake and mark where each loon was observed.

LoonWatch Reporting

You must return two forms to Eric Hanson after you complete your survey:
  1. LoonWatch Data Form 2013
    This is the form you completed during your survey.  You can mail this form to Eric at the address below or email the information to him.

  2. Loon Volunteer Hours Form 2013

    We need to document volunteer hours to receive State Wildlife Grant (SWG) funding.

    Please track your volunteer hours, sign, and mail this form back to Eric Hanson at the address below.

    Here are the guidelines:

    • Include ALL the time you spend:  driving, paddling/boating, educating neighbors, filling out forms, looking for the loons and sometimes not finding them, conducting other loon surveys, etc.
    • Each volunteer needs his/her own form -
      you cannot put 2 people on one form.
    • Each observation needs to have it's own line -
      no combining hours.
    • Estimate your time. Don't feel you have to keep track of every minute.

Please mail all forms to:

Eric Hanson

PO Box 22

Craftsbury, VT 05826

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RETURN YOUR LoonWatch Data Form and your signed Loon Volunteer Hours Form

Thank you for participating in LoonWatch.  The information collected will be entered into a state database that helps determine the course of action needed to ensure the health of loons on our busy waterways.

Eric Hanson
VLRP Coordination

Loon Nest
Loons Nesting by Elinor Osborn

Help VCE and the Vermont Loon Recovery Project Succeed.
Donate online with CrowdRise.
Crowdrise Logo
Stay Connected
Like us on Facebook    Follow us on Twitter

Zack Woods Pond Celebration

Saturday, June 22 @ 1:30
Hyde Park, VT

Join The Trust for Public Land, the Friends of Zack Woods, the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, and the Friends of Green River Reservoir to celebrate the conservation of Zack Woods and its addition to Green River Reservoir State Park.   Light refreshments will be served followed by naturalist led tours of the property. VLRP Biologist, Eric Hanson, will be one of the guides.

RSVP by Friday, June 14th, to Sarah Erb at 802.223.137 or

Join Our Mailing List
VCE is a private, non-profit group of research biologists
dedicated to uniting citizens and science for conservation.
Vermont Center for Ecostudies | PO Box 420 Norwich, VT 05055
Copyright © 2013 Vermont Center for Ecostudies. All Rights Reserved.
This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |
Vermont Center for Ecostudies | PO Box 420 | Norwich | VT | 05055