On 18.06.13, at 19.38, Ţorvarđur Davíđsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On June 18, 2013, at 11:47, jem cabanes wrote:
>
>> I (…) use it (…) as a fine book-reader, though I miss the capability of an assisting dictionary.
>
> I thought the iPad had the same dictionary as the OS X. Is that incorrect?

To say the truth, I don't know. I'm not working regularly on an English basis, nor on any major language basis for that matter.

> And what about SIRI? I have got a sort of iPad manual here on my desktop. There they write: "Siri Tip: Try saying, "Siri, what does money mean?" (This works anywhere on the iPad—you don't have to be in iBooks.)"
Never tried. OTOH, Siri seems to cop poorly with my poor English pronunciation.

> There is a useful and free plug-in available for Apple's Dictionary.app though, that lets you bookmark searched words. It's called BetterDictionary, and it can be found and downloaded here:
> https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/42139/betterdictionary
> http://pooriaazimi..github.io/BetterDictionary/
I'll try it. Many thanks.

>> Any small MacBook Pro or Airbook can do as much and more (in fact, wordprocessing on an iPad is rather limited, for instance)
>
> Do you use the built-in dictation feature to enter text by voice?
No use to me, as explained before.

> What about shooting videos and taking pictures, which you can't do with a MacBook Air?
Ah, pictures don't mean anything to me. Yet, for limited purposes you could use PhotoBooth.

> If the book contains mainly text, then I personally prefer using Nisus, because searching, bookmarking, styles and comments in NWP cannot be topped.
So do I, but there is no Nisus version for iPad.

jem c.