Thank you very much for your detailed answer, Knut. It was very helpful.

You wrote:

Notice (…) you must have an iTunes account to set it up. So if she has no computer whatsoever, she must be able to set up her own iTunes account on a Mac or PC from somewhere to even turn the iPad on.

So, it's not only the backup then. It seems she won't be able to use it at all. I wonder why her colleagues who have iPads did not explain that to her already. -- In the meantime, we have found out that the biggest problem is the Internet connection. She would need an iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular; and even with Cellular we still don't know if she will receive enough signal at home. In her office it's OK.

How do you back up your iPad? I guess, if I had one, I would sync everything with my MacBook Pro and then back up the MacBook as usual on an external disk. Thus I would have the (iPad-)data 3x: Once on the iPad itself, once on the MacBook and once on an external disk. Is that the way to go?

How much storage does your iPad have (16, 32, or 64 GB)?

Buying more storage later is impossible. I don't know why Apple expects iPad users to know exactly how much storage they will need before they buy. I had, for example, no idea how much storage I would need when I bought my MacBook Pro with 500 GB. I soon replaced it with 1 TB disk, because it was far too small for me; and now I'm having three 4 TB external disks additionally; and I still have the feeling I need more. :-)

Kind regards,
Žorvaršur