Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - NISUS Archives - LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

As usual, it all depends on what you want the tool for. I originally felt that I had more use for a MacBook Air, since I already have an iPhone and thus access to the iOS apps (I already have site-bound Macs at home and office). However, for various reasons I ended up with both an iPad (2 gen) and an Air, and I found in fact that I use the iPad much more, I carry it around in my bag, while I take the Air (as well) if I am going to a new place for more than a couple of nights, or have other specific needs the iPad is not good for.

In my setup, then, where I can have both, the iPad is I find much better for consumption. For producing, the Air is absolutely the better choice - while you can buy bluetooth keyboards for the iPad, the software for writing, editing, etc., whatever you do actively is clearly superior on the Mac, since it has much more power [or so it seems]. NisusWriter being a case in point. iPad word processing, even the best, seems aimed at the occasional text with little editing or formatting; a bit like GoogleDocs on the web. However, clearly it is possible to write productively on an iPad, if that is a side priority.

What surprised me, use-wise, was the iPad is taking me a long step towards the paperless office. I print out almost nothing any longer. All papers I used to print for meetings and seminars, I now send to the iPad (GoodReader / Dropbox), after editing either on Mac or iPad (yellow marker type editing is fine), and as I carry the iPad around anyway, I don't have to think more about it. Certainly I could bring the Air to meetings also, many colleagues do (those who write notes there), but I never did before I got the iPad, it is just easier. And, if you like to work (read papers) on the bus or train, with an iPad you can do that standing up if you so desire.

That is work, but it is probably off-work that the difference is greatest, e.g. for reading books or magazines. While the Air has a slightly larger screen than an iPad, it is fixed to landscape mode, while online magazines still mostly exist in "paper pdfs", that is in portrait mode. I certainly find it hard to read on my 11-inch Air screen at regular resolution, I have to zoom up and pan up and down. Reading such stuff (and even e-books, which are more malleable) is much more convenient on an iPad. I also find other media consumption easier, although you can of course get Netflix and anything also on the Mac web. But there are myriad of serious or non-serious apps that are only on iOS, some as fine or better on iPhone (map apps), others really benefit from the larger iPad screen. Depends on want, of course.

So, it is a question of what the balance of what your friend expects to do with her machine. If she wants to do writing or other production, go with the Air. If that is less important, look more at the iPad. Notice, incidentally, as with iPhone you must have an iTunes account to set it up. So if she has no computer whatsover, she must be able to set up her own iTunes account on a Mac or PC from somewhere to even turn the iPad on.

Knut