Hey everyone,

With a couple free hours, and seeing that the rest of this week is going to be pretty wet, I headed over to Mink Brook in the hopes of finding an empidonax. While I did not find one, I did have a pretty good time; warblers everywhere, especially along the street. Very enjoyable to walk slowly and have warblers singing all around you; my favorite was a Chestnut-sided several feet from me that offered great views. Other good birds included a calling Barred Owl, a Magnolia Warbler, and a hidden Cape May Warbler that was calling from high up. I also found a pair of Scarlet Tanagers that are making a nest. I watched the female devour an insect before grabbing a twig and flying back to the male.

In addition to birds, I also had my first identifiable ode of the season (had an emerald I think last week on campus): a female Northern Pygmy Clubtail, a lifer for me! Below is my list for the evening.

Cheers,
Kyle Kittelberger
Dartmouth

Mink Brook Nature Preserve, Hanover, Grafton, US-NH
May 20, 2013 4:20 PM - 6:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:    biking and walking the trails
33 species

Wood Duck  2
Mallard  3
Barred Owl  1    calling
Belted Kingfisher  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  X
Black-capped Chickadee  X
Brown Creeper  1
House Wren  3
Wood Thrush  3
American Robin  1
Gray Catbird  4
Ovenbird  8
Black-and-white Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  4
American Redstart  5
Cape May Warbler  1    heard only, calling from high up in the canopy
Northern Parula  4
Magnolia Warbler  1    first year bird
Yellow Warbler  6
Chestnut-sided Warbler  4
Pine Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Chipping Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  1
Scarlet Tanager  2    pair; female eating an insect before grabbing a twig and flying back to the male
Northern Cardinal  1
Red-winged Blackbird  2
American Goldfinch  6

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14189946