Yesterday during the rainstorm, a huge flock of Common Redpolls arrived at
my feeders-estimated between 75-100. I've had regular Redpoll visitors of
about 4-5 for several weeks, so this was a big surprise. Also saw a Brown
Creeper. Then today around 1:30-2 PM I heard a ruckus out front and saw 2
Ravens flying around and landing on a near by telephone pole. Looked down,
and there was the Barred Owl on the phone wire that had been here 2 days
ago (presumably).  The Ravens did not suceed in dislodging the owl. I went
out to take pictures and it just sat there for about 2 hours, though a
sudden dip and change of location seemed to have produced some red on the
beak. I wonder what it's catching. It was very sleepy, especially after the
"catch" (I assume). Chickadees ignored it, perhaps to their peril. (I hope
not).

--
Cindy Crawford

Creature Kinships and Natural Affinities
Animal and Nature Paintings, Portraits and Prints
www.creaturekinships.com
Photos: http://pbase.com/creaturekinships
BLOG: http://creature-kinships.blogspot.com/