From: Madeleine L. Overman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:41 AM
To: Madeleine L. Overman
Subject: PAF Announcement from Martin Wybourne

March 13, 2013

To: President's Administrative Forum

From: Martin Wybourne, Interim Provost and Vice Provost for Research

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Maureen O'Leary has been appointed as the new Director of Environmental Health and Safety at Dartmouth beginning April 29, 2013.  Maureen comes to Dartmouth with extensive experience managing safety programs in academia, industry, and government.

Maureen received her undergraduate degree from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and an MS, MBA, and PhD from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.  She is a senior science advisor at MRIGlobal in Frederick, Maryland.  In this capacity, she is currently providing technical support, laboratory safety advice, and laboratory design and training for the development of the Central Reference Laboratory (similar to the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta) in Kazakhstan.  Prior to working at MRIGlobal, she was the Assistant Director of Academic Safety and Environmental Health at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.  Maureen's background in biosafety, as well as her experience working with US officials and the ministries of the Kazakhstani government on complex safety and security problems, will be of great value to Dartmouth.

I would like to give special recognition and thanks to Michael Cimis, Acting Director of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), for stepping in and directing the department since Michael Blayney's departure last summer.  Michael Cimis has done an outstanding job keeping our dedicated and highly professional EHS staff focused on their important work of providing a safe environment for students, faculty, and staff at Dartmouth.

Finally, I would like to thank Roger Sloboda, Interim Associate Provost and Professor of Biology, and the members of search committee, for running an efficient and successful search.  The committee provided Bill Anderson, Vice President for Campus Planning and Facilities, and me valuable advice and recommendations.

Please join me in welcoming Maureen O'Leary to Dartmouth.

Sincerely,

Martin Wybourne
Interim Provost and Vice Provost for Research